Listening to referees

It does not take long in science to get a negative referee report that makes ones blood boil. However, as frustrating (and silly) as some reports are I think we can gain a lot by reading them carefully and reflecting on why the referee expressed the view they do.

This was brought home to me recently when within a week I had two papers outright rejected. As painful as it was to acknowledge I can now see there is some basis for some of the referees criticisms. I still claim that in both papers the science was both valid and important. However, I now see that the way the papers were written that a quick reading (which I do not begrudge since I do it too) could frustrate a referee and lead to a negative report. So I am now rewriting both papers. I think the end result will be better papers.

So, try and put your shoes in the referee [wow what a Freudian slip! ]
I mean put yourself in the shoes of the referee and see if you can see what they said and why.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it an Unidentified Superconducting Object (USO)?

What is Herzberg-Teller coupling?

What should be the order of authors on a conference poster or talk?